Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) focuses on the present moment. Mindfulness can be helpful for individuals with depression, anxiety, a substance use disorder, or even someone without a mental illness! Everyone has mental health to nurture, and practicing mindfulness helps you do that. During mindfulness, you are focused on the present moment — what you are doing, what’s happening, and being fully present.
One DBT skill is ABC PLEASE. ABC PLEASE is about taking care of ourselves by reducing vulnerability and staying in a more rational and wise mindset. Below is the ABC PLEASE model:
Accumulate the positives
- Build positive experiences
- Do something positive now, even if you don’t completely feel like it. Your brain and body will get used to the positive activities and they will crave it. Work toward goals, nurture your relationships, and don’t give up!
- Be mindful of positive experiences
- Pay attention to positive experiences. Refocus your mind if it wanders or worries. Participate in positive experiences. They are good for you!
- Do not be mindful of worries
- Try not to think about when the positive experience will end or if you deserve it. You definitely deserve positive experiences. Let yourself enjoy them!
- Plan at least one activity each day
- This builds a sense of accomplishment for you.
- Do a manageable but difficult activity
- Make sure the activity you choose is possible for you and your situation. Plan to succeed in the activity, too.
- Gradually increase the difficulty over time
- Make each activity a bit harder than the last one. If you aren’t able to complete an activity, slightly tone back the next one.
- Describe the situation
- Check the facts and be specific.
- Decide on a coping skill to use for the emotional situation
- Be detailed in writing or drawing out the skill you are going to use.
- Imagine yourself in the situation and rehearse for the situation
- Don’t just watch yourself complete the activity, see yourself in the moment, actively completing the activity!
Treat PhysicaL illness and take medications as prescribed.
Balance Eating in order to avoid mood swings.
Avoid mood-Altering substances so you have mood control.
Maintain good Sleep so you can enjoy your life.
Get Exercise to maintain high spirits.
If you’re struggling with taking care of yourself and completing activities, reach out to Pinnacle Recovery to see what we can do for you. Call us anytime at 1-866-301-0573. We can’t wait to show you what we have to offer!